I took Modern Algebra I with Professor Matthias Beck in Fall 2015. These comprehensive notes were compiled using lecture notes and the textbooks,
- Al Cuoco & Joseph J. Rotman, Learning Modern Algebra, MAA Textbooks, 2013.
- Frederick M. Goodman, Algebra: Abstract and Concrete, edition 2.6.
Please feel free to download and print these notes for your convenience.
Disclaimer: my notes are meant to be a toolbox while doing proofs and studying/practicing the course in general. There may contain typos or mistakes. Please feel free to let me know if you find any errors!
- Integers & the Euclidean algorithm
- Complex numbers, roots of unity & Cardano’s formula
- Modular arithmetic & commutative rings
- Polynomials, power series & integral domains
- Permutations & groups
Featured Image: Dodecahedron-Icosahedron Duality
Credit: Images from Algebra: Abstract and Concrete by Frederick M. Goodman